Jul 16, 2013

Rock Lobster

    Hey there guys,

So I've been thinking, our blog's URL is Randomstoriesandotherhilariousthings.blogspot.com, but I haven't really posted any stories yet (Blackrabbit-san has posted a few). Stories are where the fun is. Even if it's just a short narrative, there's something exciting about hearing an experience from someone else's point of view. So, let the random stories begin!

     How do you guys usually find the new music you like? Pandora, friends, online recommendations? Have you ever found a song that you ended up loving, but you found out about it in some crazy, strange way? Let me explain my obsession with the song, "Rock Lobster" by the B-52's.


     Well I suppose it all started with a book. That's right, a book. I had just finished reading It's Raining Cupcakes, by Lisa Shroeder. It was a fairly interesting book and I rather enjoyed it. It was about a girl working at her mother's cupcake shop and discovering her own talents for baking. Anyway at the back of the book, there were many recipes for the unique cupcakes. 
     A few days later, I found myself baking a batch of coconut cupcakes with my aunt whilst spending time with her at her house. She told me that I had to go online a find "baking music." She told me about Grooveshark.com and how to listen to songs from that website (I now listen to Grooveshark all the time). 
    Here's the real kicker: at the time, the only songs I could think of off the top of my head were "Call me Maybe" and "Bored of Everything" by Carly Jepsen and Ellegarden. I know, pathetic. Well she showed me a few songs she liked, such as "Cool for Cats" by Squeeze and, of course, "Rock Lobster." 
     I enjoyed "Cool for Cats," but Rock Lobster was so unique and quirky, I loved it! The thing is, that song is what introduced me to other music that I love today. Now it's painful for me to listen to "Call me Maybe" and "Bored of Everything." I was already into the Beatles at the time, but that was all. I just figured that I wasn't into music. Boy, was I wrong! Now I love Billy Joel, the Kinks, and so many songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's! I found that I don't even really like the music of this century (there are some exceptions). I've discovered so much in so little time, all because of one fantastic song called "Rock Lobster." Maybe through this story, you'll learn something new about yourself too, and then you'll have your own story to tell. 






                                       



No comments:

Post a Comment